Montenegro. Boat trips. Perast (part 1)

Getting acquainted with the beauty of the Boko Kotor Bay. The islands "Our Lady on the Reef" and "St. George".

The Virgin on the Reef (Gospa od Skrpjela) is an artificial island created by sinking old and captured ships. It is located off the coast of the city of Perast in the Bay of Kotor. The Roman Catholic Church is the largest building on the island, besides which there is also a museum, a small gift shop and a lighthouse.
According to legend, the island was made over the centuries by sailors who thus fulfilled ancient oaths after two sailors escaped on a rock and found an icon of the Madonna and Child there. It is believed that this happened on July 22, 1452. The rescued sailors decided to strengthen the rock with stones to create an island and build a church on it.

The island of St. George (Sveti Dordje) - or as it is also called- "the island of the dead". The island has a natural origin and is located near the city of Perast, opposite the island "Our Lady on the Reef".
There is an old abbey on the island, which was founded in honor of St. George in the IX century. The first mention of it was only in 1166, but the architecture of the structure indicates an earlier time of construction.
The island of the Dead got its name for the fact that for several centuries there were burials of famous Perast captains and rich local residents. Each tombstone was decorated with a unique heraldic emblem.
Today, the island of St. George is the property of the Catholic Church, and there is a rest house for priests on it. This is a closed area and official visits are prohibited.

Comments

Fred Micklow
Such a beautiful place
thanks for pics and story
Share the link to the site on social networks or in the messenger
By continuing to browse the website or by clicking "Accept", you agree to storing cookies of website and cookies from the statistic services on your browser to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage.